Sunday, August 30, 2009

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream

Aubrey an I just got back from a vacation in Key West, FL a couple of weeks ago. I actually didn't think we'd make it back because our plane flight was so rough. I just knew that the news was going to announce that our plane crashed later that day. Thankfully I was wrong. I've never been afraid of flying before, but flying through a storm is terrifying. The sweet flight attendant looked at me (as I was anxiously squeezing Aubrey's arm so tight his hand must have been turning blue) and said, "Sweetie, it's only a little storm." Well, it may have been a little storm for her, but for me it felt like a potential plane crash.


While we were in Key West, we had so many key lime flavored foods (sweet and savory), and it inspired me to finally make this key lime pie ice cream that I'd had saved in my "to make list" forever ago .... plus I needed to use the key lime juice that I have from there. This ice cream was so rich and creamy, and I was shocked at how close the taste is to an actual key lime pie. I think it's because of the sweetened condensed milk. Next time I make this, I'll probably try to make it with the fat free condensed milk.
Make sure you serve this with graham crackers to give it even more of a pie taste. I actually used the graham crackers as a spoon for the ice cream.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup lime juice
1 teaspoon lime zest
graham crackers, for garnish

Directions:
Mix first 4 ingredients together and refrigerate until cold. Pour into ice cream maker and mix for 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to another container and place plastic wrap on ice cream and cover container tightly with a lid. Place in freezer for several hours. Serve with graham crackers.


Source: Food Network...The Neelys

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get really anxious over every bump and shake on the plane as well, glad you made it back safely though!
I love all things key lime, so this looks DELICIOUS!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I loved this recipe and now I'm craving it!

Meg said...

Oh, my goodness. YUM!!!!! and no eggs! Try this out on me sometime! but...maybe not....It sounds habit forming!
Illu mucho.
Mama

peasepudding said...

I would love your key lime ice cream, I might try a lime curd yoghurt ice cream too! The citrus certainly make lovely refreshing desserts. Thanks for stopping by my blog.