Another think I love to look at in the MS magazine is Martha's calendar for the current month of the magazine. I like to see when she plants certain things, when she sends out invitations for functions, etc. I noticed that on November 23rd, she has "Iron napkins and tablecloths. Polish silverware." When I read that, I was like "what!?!" There's NO WAY she irons her own napkins (much less her own clothes), and I know she doesn't polish her own silver either.
Oh, Martha.... I still love you, though. (I just don't really believe your schedule all the way).
I did find a few recipes that I was impressed with in the November issue of Martha Stewart Living. This was one of them. The crunch of the breadcrumbs was a perfect addition to the crispy green beans. I'll definitely be making these again. These would be perfect for a dinner party because the whole recipe serves 12.
Ingredients:
2 pounds green beans
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons store-bought seasoned breadcrumbs (I used Italian)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions:
Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add green beans and blanch until bright green, about 5 minutes. Drain, and transfer to ice-water bath. Let stand until cool. Drain, and pat dry.
Heat oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 5 minutes. Add beans and cook until heated through about 2 minutes.
Stir in breadcrumbs, and cook for 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Source: Martha Stewart Living magazine November 2009 edition
2 comments:
Mmm I'm always looking for new ways to make green beans. They're my favorite!
These are pretty opposite to Hannah's green beans! A change is good every once in a while, but I still like the country cooking version, too! :-)
Post a Comment