Monday, August 29, 2011

Almond Joy Cheesecake



My mother-in-law and her twin sister celebrated their birthday last week. Since my MIL loves Almond Joys, I decided to make this cheesecake recipe. I recently bought a mini cheese cake pan, and I was so excited to put it to use. The original recipe makes one whole cheesecake, so I split the recipe in half and made 12 mini cheesecakes plus about 6 cupcake-sized ones. This recipe is absolutely amazing. It's probably my favorite of all the cheesecake flavors I've tasted. It's incredibly rich, so I'm glad I made the minis. A whole slice of cheesecake may be a little too much sweetness. The mini cheesecakes also control portion sizes.

If you'd rather make the large cheesecake in a springform pan, double the recipe for the crust, filling, and glaze. Also increase the baking time to 12 minutes for the crust and 1 hour and 15 minutes with the filling.





Almond Joy Mini Cheesecakes

Ingredients:
Crust
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted

Filling
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
1/2 Tablespoon coconut extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Glaze
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Topping/Garnish
Almonds
Toasted coconut
Whipped cream

Directions:
Crust
(This recipe can be made in a mini cheesecake pan or in a muffin pan with or without papers. I made mine in a mini cheesecake pan and a muffin pan with papers.)
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers, almonds, coconut, and sugar to a fine crumb. With the machine running, slowly add the melted butter and pulse until it resembles moist sand.
Divide the crumb mixture into the holes of your mini cheesecake pan (or muffin cups) then press evenly onto bottom of each hole of the pan. Bake crust in middle of oven for about 5 minutes and cool in a pan on a rack.
Reduce oven heat to 325-degrees.

Filling
In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the coconut extract.
Stop the mixer, and gently fold in the toasted almonds and coconut with a spatula until well combined.
Transfer the filling to the cooled crust and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes (until the crust is puffy and lightly browned.
Remove cheesecake from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.

Glaze
Combine the chocolate chips, cream, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool to room temperature (about 10 minutes). Pour glaze over the cheesecakes (which are still in the pan) and spread evenly.
Chill the cheesecakes overnight in the pan or until firm and set.
When ready to serve, run a knife around the perimeter of the pan to loosen each cake. Carefully remove cakes from the pan.

Recipe Source: The Curvy Carrot
Mini Cheesecake Source: Pure and Yummy


8 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Just STUNNING photographs!


Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you d0. Great photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
http://erecipecards.com/

It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!


Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

Dave
http://erecipecards.com/
Contact@eRecipeCards.com

Becki's Whole Life said...

These look wonderful - I love Almond Joy and the concept of an almond joy cheesecake is great! I love like that you can make these as individual cakes in muffin cups...love it:-)

Jun said...

Yummy! And cute! Can't wait to try making this!

Sashquatch said...

Chocolate and coconut is one of my all time favourite combos, its a classic isnt it :) and these look DIVINE! Ive only really got into cheesecake making lately and still havnt made a proper cheesecake, however i think this looks like a grand place to start! Coconut and cream cheese...mmm...Seriously goregeous, making these hopefully sooner rather than later!

Nancy said...

These look fabulous and are on my short list for a brunch I am having. Your photos are incredible!

MissLemonie said...

These cheesecakes look fantastic! I plan on making them in a mini cheesecake pan, like your first picture. Do you know how many one recipe makes? I'm having about 40 people over, and want to know if I should double the recipe.

Thanx!
Melanie

Maryanna said...

A mini cheesecake is a little smaller than a cupcake. I got 12 mini cheesecakes. I had some batter left over, so I made 6 cheesecakes in a cupcake liner. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm working on a round-up of cheesecake recipes for The Huffington Post Taste and found your recipe. I'd love to include it in my piece. Please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!