Friday, September 16, 2011

Make-Ahead Smoothies



I love drinking smoothies, but sometimes it can be time consuming cutting up the fruit and measuring out the yogurt. There are several brands at the grocery store that offer bags of frozen fruit and yogurt. All you have to do is add milk or juice. These work great except for the fact that they charge an arm and a leg for each bag (1-2 servings, depending on how big of a glass you like).

I found this idea on another blog, and it was one of those "Gah, why didn't I think of that" kind of moments. I played around with the ratio of fruit to yogurt until I found one that I liked. The bags I made make a large glass, so feel free to cut it in half to make a smaller serving. I'll probably do that next time.

You can use whatever kind of yogurt you like. I used strawberry because that's what was on sale, but feel free to use plain or any other flavor you like. Greek yogurt would also work well and adds more protein. Freeze the yogurt in an ice tray to make cubes of frozen yogurt.

You can also play around with the fruit. Freeze strawberries and slices of bananas to make a strawberry-banana smoothie. Make mixed berry smoothies, which is what I did here, by using a mixture of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. You can use fresh seasonal fruit or whatever you can find in the frozen section of your grocery store. Get creative!




Make-Ahead Smoothies

Ingredients

(for each freezer bag):
1 cup fruit, frozen
4 cubes yogurt, frozen (approx 1 TBSP each)

Directions:
Freeze yogurt in an ice tray to yield approximately 1 tablespoon cubes of yogurt.
Add 1 cup fruit and 4 yogurt cubes into freezer bags, and freeze until ready to use.
Pour the contents of freezer bag into the blender and add about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups milk or juice. Puree until smooth.
Makes about 2 servings

Source: The Tidy Nest

2 comments:

Meg said...

What a great idea! Having the packets will make things so much easier to make the smoothies!
Illu!

tiffany. said...

this is genius! just an FYI :o)

xo.
http://dropsofjupiterBLOG.com