I made this jam for the first time this spring when the strawberries were fresh off the vine. My mom is not a huge fan of jam, but she fell in love with this recipe. I've given a few jars away, and everyone has either asked for the recipe or for another jar. I couldn't taste the vanilla very much in the first batch I made, so I increased the amount in the second and third batches and used vanilla bean paste instead of the bean (much easier).
If you're new to canning, this website has very good step-by-step directions. Canning seems intimidating, but it's really an easy thing to do. Just make sure and have all of your supplies organized, and you'll do great. Also, be careful not to burn yourself when taking the jars out and placing them back into the boiling water. Otherwise, you will wind up with a nasty burn. Trust me; I've learned the hard way.
This jam is best made with fresh juicy strawberries right off the vine, but the store bought ones will work. The store bought ones don't squish as well as the vine ripened ones, so you may have to pulse them a couple of times in the food processor (but not too much... you want some chunks of strawberries).
Strawberry Vanilla Bean Jam
Ingredients:
6 cups crushed/mashed ripe strawberries (about 6 pints whole)
4 cups sugar, divided
3 vanilla beans or 3 Tablespoons vanilla bean paste
1 box powdered pectin
8 half-pint canning jars
Directions:
Wash your jars and lids in hot soapy water. Heat a large pot of boiling water (this will be to boil the jars. You'll need about 2 inches of water above the tops of the jars, so make sure your pot is big).
Mash your strawberries; you can make it as chunky or as smooth as you like, but preferably not pureed. Add the mashed strawberries to a large saucepan.
In a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and the contents of the box of pectin; add to the mashed strawberries in the saucepan. Add the contents of the vanilla bean (or vanilla bean paste) and stir well.
Bring the mixture to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add the remaining sugar quickly and return to a full rolling boil for precisely 1 minute stirring all the while. Remove from heat and skim off any foam that has formed.
Ladle into your jars, filling to about 1/8-inch from the top. Wipe off any spillage around the rim and cover tightly with the two piece lids. **Note: If you don't want to process and fully can your jam, at this point you can just refrigerate it.
Carefully place your jars into the large pot of boiling water (being sure to have them resting on something so that they aren't sitting on the bottom of the pot). Make sure the water covers the top of the jars by at least 1-inch. Cover and let process for about 10 minutes.
Remove the jars from the water and let cool to room temperature, at least overnight.
Source: Delectable Deliciousness (originally adapted from the Sure Jell pectin recipe insert)




4 comments:
wow this is a very unique recipe! I have never seen the flavor combination nor the method before. It seems wonderful. I have to try it.
Delicious! I love spring for all the fresh berries! Vanilla beans are such a yummy addition!
This sounds like such an interesting combination - I'm intrigued!
One of my favorite things in the summer is fresh strawberry jam...and when it's topped on biscuits - oh my. Your biscuits look great, too by the way:-).
Post a Comment